History of the Bären Gonten
The Bären Writes History – for Centuries
It is considered the oldest private building in the community. A Bären inn is first mentioned in a document in 1751. At that time the innkeepers were called Johann Bartholome Blatter and Maria Genovefa Wissmann. Their three sons all became priests. Their daughter Katharina also took her vows in the Benedictine monastery of Fahr.
Subsequently, there were various changes of tenant and owner until the 112-year-long era of Gmünder began in 1895. Johann Karl Gmünder bought the inn for 21,000 Swiss francs and a tip of 100 Swiss francs. The last generation, Charly and Silvia Gmünder, took over the management in 1980. At the end of the 1990s, the restaurant was always awarded 15 points by GaultMillau. In 2009, Charly Gmünder had the honour of cooking for all the Federal Councillors at the Bernerhof in Berne at the end of the presidential year of Federal Councillor Hans-Rudolf Merz.
After an extensive renovation in 2007, the Bären changed owners. Dr. oec. Hans-Ulrich Dörig continued the renovation and the striking conversion while protecting the listed main building. A decor in red, yellow and black was consistently chosen for the dining rooms – in the style of the traditional costume of Appenzell. After Dörig’s death, the business closed down temporarily in 2013 and was sold.
History of the bear Gonten is still being written.